Monday, September 17, 2007

The MBA so far

The MBA so far is simply overwhelming. Classes haven't even started yet, but already there are so many little areas of this thing to manage - career stuff, bidding for classes (very complicated at Chicago), leadership class (called LEAD), social networking, various events, etc. Not to mention just trying to get accustomed to a new home and city.

Anyway, I think the greatest thing about this journey so far has been the people I've met, and particularly the diversity. As do many other top business schools, Chicago intentionally builds a class with people from all over the world with various different backgrounds. This year's class represents 53 countries. A few nights ago, during our leadership retreat in Wisconsin, I went to dinner with a few guys from Israel that I had recently met. During dinner, a guy who looked middle-eastern came and sat at the table and began talking with us. It turns out, he's from Tehran, Iran. He and the guys from Israel talked politics and relations for about an hour, and it was a fascinating and sometimes heated discussion. In the end, the three of them chose to focus on what they had in common, which is that they all just wanted to live their lives in peace and acheive professional success.

Another friend of mine is from Quatar, and I learned more in a 20-minute conversation from him about the middle east than I've learned in all my reading on the subject. Another guy I have been spending time with is from Ethopia. We haven't had particularly deep conversation yet, but I'm looking forward to getting his thoughts on the plight of Africa.

Of course, after dropping $90k in tuition, the topic on all our minds is the fate of the economy and the job market over the next few years, but that's for another post.

2 comments:

The Donegans said...

WOW! I wish I was a fly on your shoulder everyday. You are the "most interesting man in the world." I am so excited for you to be part of higher education at this level. This is what you have hoped and wished for. Don't let the negativity of your debt or future job market get in your way. You have grown a ton since we met 5 years ago. You are spiritually equipped to impact and influence the lives of your new peers. Love it!

-md

amy luella said...

fascinating, josh!...it is not like what you are in the mist of, but i work as a special educator and my current paraeducator is from egypt, originally, and she is muslim...she is a beautiful person--intelligent, caring, dedicated, faithful,...overall, i praise god for this unique and enjoyable relation that gives me a taste of another "world" and religion.