Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Day in the Life (of Heidi)

So how does one spend a typical day in Chicago? Well, for me, a new transplant to the Windy City, this is how:

I set the alarm for 5:45am in anticipation of a leisurely run, but when it went off, I looked outside and saw that it was still a little dark, and thereby convinced myself to stay safely in bed until 6:15am. Then I convinced myself (after hitting the snooze until 6:25) that it’s probably light enough by now and if I hurried, I could probably squeeze in a little run. So out the door by 06:49am, iPod in hand, and I headed for the lake. The cool breeze coerced me into greeting the morning with a smile, sunglasses free, because of the light grey cloud covering. As I ran towards the Adler Planetarium, I noted the names of the pricey yachts, things like, My Chips or Tool ‘N Around. Eyeing one grey- haired gentleman that was out polishing a particularly large craft with the moniker, Mahalo, I thought, “Who owns these things anyway, and why can’t I go on a ride with them?”

Then after my 34 minute loop run out to the Planetarium and back, I quickly got dressed and walked about 5 minutes to the closest EL red line station. (Why do they all smell like pee?) When I got on, I felt very “commuter-like” as I held on to the poll (because there were no seats available) with my umbrella sticking out of my shoulder bag.

After about a 10-minute train ride, I had another 5 minute walk to my hospital. I walked by Pottery Barn, Banana Republic, Borders, and Niketown before turning left at the MAC store to get to my building. How financially dangerous it might be to work along the Magnificent Mile?…. I had a full day of orientation, which further solidified my confidence that I am now an employee of the best hospital in Chicago (Northwestern Memorial Hospital), to which I hope I can bring great enthusiasm and ideas.

On my way home, I stopped at Watertower Place (a mall), to pick up a shirt for Josh… but I did have the willpower to resist Starbucks!

After my commute home, I called some friends, and started dinner for the resident business student who should be returning home soon.

So, that was a day in the life of this new Chicagoan…

This past week included trips to the Chicago Art Museum and the Field Museum, as well as a taking in a White Sox game and hosting a Bears game party at our house (they lost, Rex Grossman was pitiful). Next weekend we have a semi-formal event for Josh’s school at Shedd Aquarium.

Hmm, maybe I’m starting to like this place….

Heidi

4 comments:

Jenna Hoskinson said...

sounds like you guys are doing the big city life thing. Crazy about the uber-expensive yachts and all. Maybe you can sneak a picture next time???

amy luella said...

ahh, good memories, heidi...i am thinking of the younger years in illinois...it sounds like an exciting time...and ya'll's home is that close to the water!? take good care...love from colorado!

Anonymous said...

Chicago sounds as if it hasn't changed so much, since we moved, ha! Enjoy the fun things and shopping!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys:

Hope the house deal is going through OK. I will be in Chicago Wed the 17th & Thur the 18 of Oct on bidness. I'll be right at Rosemont/O'Hare. Perhaps we can get together?

Chris Lane