Thursday, March 12, 2009

Too Much To Say

Ok- I have one complaint about pregnancy thus far: The constant comments (and looks). It's like all of the sudden it's not rude for people to give you daily assessments of their appraisal of your progression and size in pregnancy. Strangers, co-workers, friends ... words like "big," "small," "tiny," "butt," and other descriptors come in to play on a daily basis. Most of the comments are really nice, like you look great or you don't look pregnant from the back... things you like to hear. But then- there are the (usually not in good shape themselves) people who feel that it's completely appropriate to comment on the size of your rear or let you know they find you "huge."
Then the looks. I know I did this too. We are curious about things that are different or for me, it was just a sense of longing when I was looking at other pregnant bellies. But it's hard not to feel like you're constantly getting sized up. My favorite are the muscle guys in the gym who are perplexed as to why this person with the basketball stomach is lifting weights. Just wait until I'm 9 months!
I promise I'm not being overly sensitive because I know that I am healthy and am totally happy with the way my body has responded to this pregnancy. It just amazes me that things that were once taboo are now socially acceptable, at a time in a woman's life where she probably is feeling more emotional and less attractive than normal.
So- from now on, I will keep my own experience in mind when addressing my pregnant friends (or strangers).

29 1/2 weeks down, just a few more to go!

Heidi

1 comment:

amy luella said...

it is funny...but annoying sometimes, too. a week or two before aurelia was born i had a first grader walking toward me with a friend, and she said to her friend, "oh my, BEEEP!" plenty loud and with wide eyes as she saw my belly coming.=) great moment.